The Parish of Saint Catherine of Siena
Our Parish was brought into being at the request of His Eminence Jame C. Cardinal McGuigan. His Eminence requested the Superior of the Missionary Fathers of St. Charles to appoint a pastor for a new church to be located in Cooksville. The provincial, who was the Reverend Father Corrado Martellozzo, P.S.S.C., was happy to send the Reverend Father Daniel Zanon to take charge of establishing a new parish for this are.
The very first Mass was celebrated in the first Sunday of February, 1956. The Mass was celebrated in the St. Catherine of Siena School. The School was used for approximately one year as the centre for bringing together the Catholics of the area.
The turning of the sod for the Church took place in 1956 on Easter Sunday. The Most Reverend Francis A. Marrocco, DD., Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto officiated at the ceremony. Also present were the Provincial of the Missionary Fathers of St. Charles, the Dean, Very Reverend T.L. Healy, invited clergy, our pastor, and a large number of parishioners.
Construction of the Church commenced in June 1956. By Christmas of 1956, it was possible to celebrate Midnight Mass in the basement of the Church.
Services were continued in the Church basement until the large influx of new parishioners necessitated the completion of the upper portion of the Church.
In March, 1960, Building and Finance committees were formed to plan the financing, selection of architects and builders, and to decide on the final design of the Church.
The Parish was pleased to welcome Father James L. Chiaro, P.S.S.C. in July of 1960 to server as assistant to Father Zanon.
The construction of the main church commenced in September 1960, which forced a movement of the services in the basement to the Church Auditorium. Many problems were encountered during the winter months with construction continuing during the week, then a quick dust and mop up to prepare for Sunday Mass.
By the Spring of 1962, the basic outside shell was completed and work continued rapidly toward the completion of the new church in late summer of 1961.
The Dedication and Solemn Blessing of the New Church took place in late summer of 1961 and the first Mass was celebrated in the New House of God.
Our Beloved Pastor Father Daniel Zanon
Click to view larger