Dear Parishioners and FRIENDS.
As we continue to prepare for a full schedule of events and activities at the parish, I am sending you some of the dates that we are working on, so that you too can take advantage of the many programs we are planning.
Reverence to God is one of the clearest sign of faith. Reverence is a natural consequence of our belief in the real presence of God. We Catholics have a very special presence of God in the Holy Eucharist; there is no such a thing in any other religion of the world.
At our parish we are trying, especially during these times of emergency, to keep our celebrations very simple and very reverent. We have many ministers and volunteers who give their time and love for the safe and reverent performance of our celebrations.
On the past few days, some from other parishes have come to disrupt and insult our faith by desecrating the Holy Eucharist, by throwing the host either on the floor or on the pew. This is a sacrilege and surely God will punish very severely with eternal damnation this new “Judas” who comes to our church to betray our Lord Jesus. “After he (Judas) took the morsel, satan entered him” (John 13, 27).
I invite all parishioners to be careful and vigilant during holy communion. There is a proper way to receive communion: First you stand up wherever you are and the minister will come to you; then you uncover the mouth from the mask; then you raise your hand to receive the host; then you place it in your mouth IMMEDIATELY. For no reason you are supposed to take it out of your mouth.
This is the way that JESUS now wants to be received by all of us; and if anybody tells you differently, remember that they do not belong to our community of faith; they should not be coming to our church. We are Catholics and we follow our Pope Francis and our Bishop Thomas.
BIBLE STUDY – On September 10 and for 8 more weeks we will have the “Great Adventure Bible Program”, every Thursday night at 7:30pm in Zanon Hall. You need to by the book for the course, so please contact Vicky Nisce at the parish office and leave your name and phone.
CATECHIST TRAINING – On Saturday, September 19 we will begin a mini course (4 Saturdays) for the formation of Catechists. All are invited. We also want to invite new volunteers for this very important ministry in our parish. Please call the office or speak to Fr. Walter.
RCIA (Baptism for Adults) – It will begin on October 5, 2020 – 7:00pm.
PRE-CANA (Marriage Preparation) It will begin on October 20, 2020
Mary Fix & Fr. Zanon – October 9, 7:30pm
St. Catherine of Siena School – October 10, 7:00pm
St. Timothy School – October 167, 7:30pm.
FIRST HOLY COMMUNION
Spanish Children – September 5, 12:00noon.
Mary Fix & Fr. Zanon – October 23 – 7:00pm
St. Catherine of Siena – October 24, 11:00am
St. Timothy – October 30th – 7:00pm.
1. Labor Day Weekend – Saturday, September 5 to Monday, September 7 After a blessed, restful, and very fruitful retreat early this week, we want to hold another live-in retreat with Father Walter at The Valley of the Mother of God Christian Retreat Centre, a quiet and peaceful retreat centre in Orangeville situated on a vast, picturesque property. We have chosen the long weekend this time to give an opportunity to those who work during the week and would like to take advantage of this last long weekend of summer to be immersed in the presence of God. “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest awhile”. Mark 6:13 Check the link here: https://thevalleyofthemotherofgod.ca/ Please note that this is not a fund-raising activity. Whatever The Valley charges is what we pass on to you. They have given us a little break on the weekend rates and have included 2 lunches which don’t normally come with their packages. If they give us any more incentives, we will surely pass those on to you.
Special Weekend Cost: (New – St. John’s Building)
$240/person – single occupancy with private washroom
$290/couple – double occupancy with private washroom
$340/family of 3 – triple occupancy with private washroom
$390/family of 4 – quad occupancy with private washroom
Included with the price: dinner on Saturday; breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday; breakfast and lunch on Monday. Coffee, tea and water are also included.
- We bring our own bagged lunch for Saturday and other snack items for the weekend.
- We need 12 registrants before August 28 to confirm the retreat. The sooner you confirm, the better it will be for our planning. You may drop off your cash or cheque payment at the office.
- Please advise if you want to carpool.
- We will leave SCOS Church after the morning Mass (9:00 am) on Saturday, September 5, and we will leave Orangeville at 5:00 pm or thereabouts on Monday, September 7.
- All necessary safety & health precautions will be adhered to. (Masks, social distancing, sanitizing)
Thursday, September 10th 7:30 pm – ASF sessions will resume. Together with Father Walter, we will begin an exciting, fast-paced 8-week journey through the Bible using “Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible” by Jeff Cavins and Sarah Christmyer. A workbook which includes the bible timeline chart is needed to participate in the program. It will also give you the necessary registration to access the videos on your own for a limited period. The cost will be about $40. Please confirm your attendance no later than Wednesday, August 26th, to ensure that we receive the workbooks by Sept 10th. The study will also be made available via Zoom. Workbook is also needed to join.
PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO: